The Quick-Guide to Hanging Christmas Lights
For the record, it was me and my husband’s first-time hanging Christmas lights this year. Needless to say: I’m not a pro & I wouldn’t give us an A+ on our efforts, so I’ve gotten guidance for this blog from my friends at Lowe’s.
In other words, this is a lesson for me as much as it is for you! A few tips on hanging Christmas lights:
1. Test Your Lights - Just because lights are new, they still need to be tested – on the ground. The last place you want to find out your lights are busted is on top of a ladder in the cold. Go ahead and attach your light clips at this point and make sure they're all in the same direction.
2. Attach Lights to Shutters or Shingles - To attach lights to your gutters, use an all-purpose light clip. It works with any type of light. Hang the lights pointing up or down, just make sure they're all clipped in the same direction. If you don't have gutters, you can use the same clip to attach lights to your shingles instead. Simply flip the clip around.
3. Attach Lights to Trees - If you're hanging lights in a tree, try using a light-hanging pole. Hanging poles are also great if you don't want to get on a ladder. The number of lights you'll need to decorate trees and shrubs is a matter of personal preference. A good rule of thumb is 100 lights for every 1-1/2-ft of tree or shrub you want to cover. So a 6-ft evergreen needs at least 400 lights for a basic level of lighting.
4. Attach Lights to Railings - If you want to attach lights to the railings of your front porch or deck, check out deck clips.
5. Set a Timer – (Disclaimer: we did NOT do this and it’s an extra step in my day that I would prefer didn’t exist!). Who wants to wake up at 3 a.m. to find the Christmas lights have been on all night? Now that the lights are up, plug them into an outdoor timer. Some timers even have light sensors that automatically turn on at dusk – technology at its finest.
6. Flip the Switch - That's it. Stand back and admire your work. Go grab yourself a cup of hot cocoa and a cookie – you’ve earned it!
Unfortunately, we can’t help you in this endeavor as this isn’t Perdue Builders & Supply’s specialty --- we will stick with siding replacement, window and door installation, and painting! However, I’m an advocate for lighting up these dark days and wanted to be all the help I can be.
From us to you --- hope these holiday weeks are bright!